Friday, May 25, 2007

Answer to the Mystery

Sorry it's taken me so long to post about the mystery. So, without further ado....

Friday night Mom and Dad and I got in the car and drove about three hours south to Austin, or at least that's what they told me. I don't know geography and have no idea what Austin is. Anyway, we got to stay in a hotel that night and guess what? I slept in the bed with them! They decided that since we were away from home and the bed was king size that they would let me sleep with them. They had to keep telling me it was okay to get up, because I was a little unsure at first about whether or not that was okay. Man, I slept so well! I found a really comfy spot right in between Mom and Dad. It was great.

I still didn't know what we were doing in Austin until the next day. You dogs were right...it was water! But, not the beach. Mom told me that's still kind of far away from Austin. It was a lake. We went kayaking! Not just the three of us, but us AND about twenty other people and their doggies. It was with the Dog Scouts troop from Fort Worth. Have any of you heard of Dog Scouts before? My trainer Debbie told us about them. They do all kinds of fun stuff together (and yes, they do have badges just like Boy/Girl Scouts...hee hee).
.
I did the navigating, while Mom and Dad did the rowing. Here is a picture of me at the front of the kayak. Straight ahead Mom and Dad!
.


A dog gets thirsty navigating, so I took a leisurely drink from the side of the boat. Mom kept trying to get a picture of my tongue lapping up the water, but this was the closest she got.
.


We all rowed down the river to this little island where dogs are allowed off leash. Row faster Mom and Dad. I can't wait to get there!



Mom didn't really get any pictures of me on the island, but she did snap a few of me in the water after we docked. Mom and Dad had never taken me swimming before, so they weren't positive about whether or not I'd like it. I say, of course I do! I'm a Golden Retriever for dog's sake! I had soooo much fun swimming. And, I got to play fetch in the water. I "stole" the dummy from this cute little lab named Jasmine when her dad threw it into the water. I just can't help myself. You throw it, I retrieve it. It's what I do. Fortunately, she didn't mind and just swam along with me.


I took in the scenery on the way back.
.

Here is a picture of some of other dogs and their parents.


Here's the embarrassing part. Don't laugh. On the way back I fell out of the kayak, not once but twice (although Mom isn't entirely convinced that the second time was an accident). The first time it happend I was just shifting my weight in the boat and in I went. It shocked me, and I was kind of scared. Mom and Dad paddled over toward the shore so I could get some footing and get back in.

All in all, it was a super fun trip. I was totally worn out when we were done, as you can see.


I hope I get to have another water-related trip some time soon! Now that Mom and Dad have seen how much I like to swim and play fetch in the water, they've got to take me again!

8 comments:

Duke said...

You fell in??!! Were you scared? That would have whigged me out! Actually I don't think I would have been in a kayack in the first place!
Your adventures did look fun though! What great pictures of you!

Love ya lots,
Maggie

Anonymous said...

wow...kayacking, I want to go! I need to tell Mama to plan something out.

Ruby Bleu said...

That looks like SO much fun Avery...my dogginess!!! Falling in must have been so scarey...but you came thru with flying colors!!!

Lots of Licks, Ruby

Amber-Mae said...

That's a good life vest! My hooman's looking for one here too in Malaysia but cannot find! My hooman worries about us when we swim in the deep lake, river or sea. She thinks that we will drown! Oh come on! She's over reacting!

Love licks,
Solid Gold Dancer

Ben & Darling said...

Oh you went kayaking????

So nice!!! I never try before either mom...we are so jealous bout you Avery.....what a great water trip, 1st slept with your hoooman then kayaking with soooooooo many friends.

Lady Kaos said...

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooo jealous!!!!! Your trip sounds soooo much fun! I wish my Dad would hurry up and get the Jeep fixed so I could go swimming this summer.
Kaos

Charlie said...

That's the best adventure ever!! Glad you made it back safely.
- Charlie

Liza said...

How very very very cool Avery. I am going to have my humans see if there are dog scouts around here.

I have the same life vest - so I knew it had to be some kind of on the water fun.

Excellent photos!!

Dory and Liza