Mom tried to reassemble it as best she could so she could show you what it's used to look like (pre-dog mauling). Unfortunately, she couldn't figure out where many of the fragments fit, since I'd done such a thorough job of dismembering it.
Exhibit B: Scratches on the old record cabinet Mom got from my Great-Grandma.
Exhibit C: Note the many, many toys (including the lightbulb in the middle, which was filled with treats) that Mom left me to play with and keep me busy and happy.
Mom also had my radio on for me, as usual, to keep me company while she was gone (always set to NPR - makes a dog think).
I have never, ever destroyed anything before. Ever. I am not a chewer. I NEVER try and chew on anything that isn't mine, and I rarely do much chewing on my own toys for that matter (ignore the fact that my Lambie has no ears in the above picture). Now, I will admit that I have created some scratches on some wooden furniture before. But that's it. That has been the extent of my destruction.
My Plea: Not Guilty, by reason of mental defect (and ridiculous cuteness). I have diagnosed myself with Specific Phobia, Natural Environment Type. Specifically, Ceraunophobia. In lay terms, I am afraid of...
THUNDER!!!! *shudder*
(Mom says that the Diagnostic and Statisitical Manual is not intended for diagnosis of canine anxiety and that one should not self-diagnose, but whatever.)
Mom and Dad got me a year ago this month, and I never showed any fear at all about thunder up until a couple of months ago. We had a really, really nasty storm come through while Mom and Dad were out. I mean, it was bad. There was bad flooding in some areas and Mom and the cats and I ended up hiding out in the bathroom later that night due to a tornado warning (Dad was at work). Mom came home earlier that day and found her laptop pushed off the desk onto the chair, papers strewn everywhere, miscellaneous desk items either fallen or falling off the desk, and scratches on the desk top. It seems that I just freaked out. Ever since then I get scared when there's thunder. And we have had a lot of it this spring and summer! Mom and Dad ignore my pleas for comfort and help when I'm scared. They say it's because they want me to be a big boy and learn that I don't have to be scared, but I just can't help it! I guess I'm traumatized from that one awful storm!
Okay jury, time to deliberate. Bad Dog or poor, traumatized (yet adorable) dog with a genuine diagnosis that excuses me from responsibility?
Here is a sad, pathetic picture of me to sway you, *ahem*, I mean, uh... for no reason whatsoever.
(P.S. Mom doesn't think I actually ingested any of the wood. Mom called the vet to ask what she should do in case I did, and she and Dad are keeping their eyes on me to make sure I'm okay.)





22 comments:
Not Guilty! Thunder is scawie...plus it WAS a cat you ate---that is acceptable. Totally Not Guilty.
Lots of Licks, Ruby
No guilty! I'm as scared of the thunder storms as you are Avery. Mom does comfort me and treats me like the big baby that I am and I sure do appreciate it! That CostaRican kitty must have been taunting you or that slight accident would have never happened!
Love ya lots,
Maggie
Uh-oh... Someone here is in BIIIIIG trouble! But it wasn't entirely your fault, right? You were left at home alone so what else could you in the house alone besides sleeping & waiting for your hoomans to come back home? Chew stuff!
Love licks,
Solid Gold Dancer
NOT guilty. In fact, they should be finding you counseling to deal with your storm issues. You should actually be receiving very special treatment from now on.
:)
The storms here have been horrible this year, I think I'm drugged half the time.
Tucker-Doodle
Oh Avery, Not Guilty if you were scared. I've chewed things I should not have too, and have been to the vet many times for emergency visits, do be careful. Maybe your mom can talk to you vet about something to calm your nerves when that happens. They know you really didn't mean it. You were just scared.
By the way, I'm MayaMarie, nice to meet you.
MayaMarie
Thunder is verrry scarrry! Our previous golden climbed a 6 foot fence once when he was scared (by a smoke detector), so we totally sympathize with Avery!
- Charlie's mom
Not guilty! First of all...that figurine was shaped like a cat. No wonder you chewed it! Secondly, thunder? Come on! You cannot expect to act rationally during a thunderstorm.
Lola
(who is also now afraid of thunderstorms)
Definately NOT guilty! I don't usually get scared during storms, but once in awhile I do. Dogs know when storms are not normal storms. They should be asking you what to do when a storm comes along. If you say hide and comfort each other, then they should do that, not make you get tuff! AND,if someone would diagnose you, the you souldn't have to self diagnose. Sheesh!!
Kaos
Avery,
This is your Uncle Mike speaking. It seems the evidence is kinda stacked against you my boy. HOWEVER, I have deduced what may be causing your new fear of thunderstorms:
The day of the huge thunderstorms when Mom and the cats disappeared into the tub, you subconsciously felt alone and the presence of fear hormones in the air (from Mom and the scardy cats) made you freak out a little bit.
So...from now on, when there is thunder, just stick to Mom and I promise you will not harm anything in the house.
Hey Avery,
Dude if I were the foredog
I would find you not guilty
but if all gos bad you can
chill out at my place.
Love and Licks
Texas (and his humans).
Avery, that's nothin', honey, bless your little heart! You know those BoBo toys from Petsmart? I tore up two of those in one day. Mom can't even put pillows on the couch anymore because I destroy them. BTW, if you had to chew up a toy, it is best that you chose a cat. See my blog.
Oh Avery -
We are so sorry to here you are traumatized by thunder! We say not guilty!! But of course this is coming from the dog who recently ate a whole bar of Ivory soap!
Tell mom to watch the weather channel more often!!
Call us if you need to make bail!!
Love ya - Dory
Of coz you are not guilty/ We dogs are always right. The hooman is the one found guilty. They should put all those thing away from us since they know its important for them.
I'm sorry you're scared of thunder Avery!!!
Avery - do we need to post bail??
Love, Dory
Avery!!! Where are yoooooo??? You're not in doggie prison are you? Call collect, we'll bust you out!
TBP
I tagged you to show us your pearly whites Avery! Check out my blog!
Love ya lots,
Maggie
Lol. How normal is this, isnt it?
we had swallowed whole lots of things and are still bouncing up and down.
not to worry, im sure u'll be fine..
come and check us out at http://beautifulgoldenretrievers.blogspot.com/
btw, we're whiskey n shayla
So Avery, is your court case settle?? You have released with no guilty huh??
Hey Avery,
Dude where are you?
I'm getting worried.
Love and Licks
Texas (and his humans).
We have been having so much fun every Sunday, let’s do it again!
Meet me in Chat
Sunday 9 am EST (9 pm Singapore time)
peemail me for the chat address wiredfoxterror@yahoo.com
OFF LEASH CHAT PAWTY
all bloggie doggies invited!
BYOB (bring your own bowl)
Bussie Kissies
Buster
Sorry, man, but you are totally guilty. I guess your folks will just have to stay home with you like mine do!
Dakota never was scared of storms until she was four and we had a lightning strike right outside, which turned off the cable and made a scary sound. Now she is scared of thunder. Silly girl.
Post a Comment